Learn about Forces from the amazing 1000mph car ‘Bloodhound’

In this series, a team of young investigators are set challenges by Dr Yan Wong.

In this episode, two of the team discover what factors are taken into consideration in order to travel at high speed.

The Investigators try their hand at sky-diving and learn that a slight change in their shape has a huge impact on their movement and stability when moving through the air at high speeds.

A trip in a microlight aircraft demonstrates why the right shape is important to push through the air and how different air density can affect the ability to travel at high speed.

The effects of air resistance and air density

Harnessing air resistance with parachutes

Children from Links Primary School in London investigate harnessing air resistance in order to safely drop an egg.

They experiment with shapes of parachutes and ways of holding the egg safely.

Will the eggs survive the drop?

Investigating friction

Dr Yan Wong and children from Links Primary School in London investigate friction by trying to separate two interleaved books.

They also investigate centrifugal force, discovering the effects of forces on spinning objects.

Experimenting with water rockets

Dr Yan Wong and a group of children from Links Primary School in London investigate rockets.

They use water pressure rockets in order to find out the science behind how rockets travel.

The clip then shows Dr Wong and the schoolchildren streamlining their rocket shapes to try and get them to travel the furthest distance.

Investigating air and water resistance

Children from Links Primary in London investigate air and water resistance.

They experiment with different shaped objects, streamlining them to make them travel quickly through the water …

But can they make the shapes fast and stable?

Is Bloodhound SSC a car, a boat or a plane?

A team of young Bloodhound Investigators are set a challenge by Dr Yan Wong.

The Investigators compare and contrast features of cars, boats and planes in order to decide which of the three the Bloodhound SSC is most like.

They meet experts from the Bloodhound team who help them with Dr Yan’s challenge.

What makes a supersonic car move?

The Bloodhound SSC is a supersonic car.A team of young investigators are set challenges by Dr Yan Wong.

The investigators find out about jet engines and Bloodhound’s main source of thrust – a rocket.

They visit a rocket testing site and discover that fuel needs oxygen to burn. Bloodhound’s rocket, however, will have the highly flammable HTP (high-test peroxide) pumped into its rubber fuel; this burns instantly without needing a match.

Experimenting with reaction times

Children from New Invention Junior School in the West Midlands investigate their reaction times and how these are affected by distractions.

17 Replies to “Learn about Forces from the amazing 1000mph car ‘Bloodhound’”

1. I have learnt that the Bloodhound SSC (supersonic car) is trained to travel at 1000mph ,which is faster than a bullet fired from a gun. It is designed in a streamlined shape so that it isn’t slowed down by air resistance. The Bloodhound doesn’t have tyres ,instead it has wheels made of aluminium because the grip of tyres would prevent the car from reaching 1000mph. Also, the Bloodhound only has to travel in a straight line to beat the record.If they did use tyres they would explode.

2. I have learnt that SSC stands for super sonic car. The ‘bloodhound’ travels much much, faster than a regular car. Also, it is trained to travel over 1000 mph. The ‘bloodhound’ is aiming to beat the world record of 763 mph. The car is powered by a jet engine and a rocket, this makes the car go extremely fast. In addition to, the car has a streamlined shape which adds extra power.
    I really enjoyed learning about ‘bloodhound’ and how it works. I hope they will succeed in beating the world record,

3. I have learnt that the Bloodhound SSC is trying to travel at 1000miles per hour! To do this, it has no tyres. Instead, they use the inner frame of a normal wheel as the actual wheel . This is made from aluminium. Doing this, it helps the car not to skidd and slide when it is travelling at such a fast speed.

4. I learnt that the bloodhound is trying to reach a very fast speed which is faster than any car.This is amazing because scientists are finding very new things and in the future there will be things like hoverboards which is similar to the bloodhound.This works by a rocket,but it goes in the opposite direction of the car model.Which means that the Bloodhound Super Sonic Car goes even more faster than an origanal car like a Mercedes.It literally goes double the speed which is so cool and I hope that we do reach that speed limit.

5. I have learnt that the bloodhound SSC is streamlined you might think that the bloodhound is an normal car but it uses a rocket to power it .The SSC (super sonic car ) is trying to beat the land speed record of 763 miles per hour.The bloodhound is also symmetrical so that it reduces drag forces. I really enjoyed learning about the bloodhound .

6. I have learnt that the Bloodhound SSC is streamlined and symmetrical so that reduces drag forces and it does not lift off the ground. I did not know that the Bloodhound used a parachute to slow down and a large surface area reduces the speed by quite a lot .I also found out that tyres blow and rip up at high speeds.

1. For this week’s science homework, we are required to post a comment about bloodhound SSC after watching three of the five videos which were posted. Through these videos, I have learnt about how the bloodhound works, how it charges and how it doesn’t need tyres because it does not turn around corners and therefore it doesn’t need that grip. Some of the experiments which were carried out on the clips gave me an insight about how the bloodhound gets charged up which was proved by and experiment about water rockets. I never knew that the bloodhound requires a jet engine and a rocket.

7. I have learnt that air density at ground level is much thicker than it is in air, hence this enables aeroplanes and rockets to increase speed quicker than cars. The bloodhound SSC (super sonic car) is trying to exceed the land speed of 763mph which was in 1997. It is traveling at such a high speed that flaps on either side of the vehicle (like the ones on aeroplane wings) and parachutes are needed. This increases air resistance which slows it down.

8. I learnt that the Bloodhound is completely different from a normal car as it uses a rocket to power it and doesn’t have tyres because they would just disintegrate at the speeds which Bloodhound is going to go at. The Bloodhound Super Sonic Car is designed to travel at 1000mph and needs a parachute to slow it down. Bloodhound works because the force from the rocket pushes Bloodhound away in the opposite direction.
    I understand the effects of air resistance and how Bloodhound is created to beat it.

9. I have learnt that the bloodhound ssc (super sonic car) is Trying to smash the land speed record of 763 miles per hour and go an impressive 1000 miles per hour. It has a fighter jet engine and is very streamlined so it can easily cut through the air.Also it is going to use HTP(high test peroxide) which is much more powerful than a firework.Another massive surprise is that if it had tyres they would just disintegrate,so that is why it doesn’t have any tyres.

10. I have learnt that the Blood SSC (super sonic car) doesn’t have tyres but has wheels because tyres create friction which rubs against two surfaces which slows it down. They don’t want this to happen because they want the car to exceed the speed of 763mph and reach 1000mph. The tyres are going to be made of aluminium. The car also needs to be very streamlined to reduce the effect of air resistance to make it go faster.

11. I have learnt that the SSC (super sonic car) Bloodhound has aluminium tyres because at the speed it is going at the standard rubber tyres would just disintegrate and explode.The tyres with rubber are only needed when turning corners and for the Bloodhound to become the fastest land car it just needs to go in a straight line.

12. I have learnt that the bloodhound will go faster than a bullet.I have also learnt that SSC stands for Super Sonic Car. It will go so fast that it will need a rocket.

13. I have learnt that the Bloodhound SSC is aiming to be the fastest car in the world by beating the speed of 763 miles per hour. The fact that this extraordinary car has no tyres is insane but if the Bloodhound did have tyres they would just disintegrate. It is extremely difficult to reach such high momentum as there many forces working upon this car.

14. The JCB diesel max known as the Bloodhound SSC has been designed to be the fastest car in the world, engineered by Sarah Kevell. This is truly amazing as there are many things it has to tackle like air resistance . Dr Yan Wong had been with some children and they investigated into the Bloodhound SSC. This stands for Bloodhound super sonic car. it is trying to travel at over 1000mph faster than a bullet fired from a gun. They are doing this to try and break the world land-speed, 763mph from a car made in 1997. This super has is equipped with a jet engine and a rocket to make it extra fast. i believe this is truly incredible and can beat the world land-speed. I understand how this experiment is going on and how the Bloodhound SSC is made and what it is doing.

15. I’ve learnt that bloodhound SSC has no tyres because at a very high speed they can explode and the grip makes it slower. It has wheels made of Aluminium instead.

16. The BloodHound SSC (super sonic car) is trying to beat the 763mph land speed record.It is going to have 1000mph wind speed,it is a streamlined shape so it can cut through air restance.The BloodHound is trying to be the fastest car yet.It needs the right amount of weight for it to be the fastest car ,it needs to be slim and sleek for it to glide as well.