8 Replies to “Science Christmas Lecture – How to hack your home”

1. The lecture was amazing and I learnt a lot about going and living in the space. For example while doing a space walk, one has to hold on to a railing all the time and then while you float one has to use hands. There were lots of different experiments and my favourite one was the one where it was explained how the sensors in our body work, just like sensors in modern electronic gadgets and machines work. I would like to know about the ISS a bit more like how was it planned to be built, how long it took to build and is it built to survive forever?

2. I found the lecture on how to turn the skyscraper into a giant games console really interesting even though the screen was low resolution It would need a lot more bulbs to become HD and a gargantuan number for 4K

3. In lecture 1 it was amazing to see how they built the game console on the skyscraper.
    In lecture 2 I was surprised that one could bend light.
    In lecture 3 I learnt that robots can be programmed to do anything. I enjoyed listening to the Doctor Who music played by the robots.

4. I’ve learnt that Alexander Graham Bell made a device that turned electricity into speech in 1875.
    Cameras have CMOS (Complementary metal -oxide semiconductor) sensors, which help take photographs. We have about 8 million pixels in our cameras. Pixel stands for picture element. A computer doesn’t have to capture the whole image but with the right software, it can start processing an image, it can pull out 2D shapes or objects.
    Fibre optic cables send digital information down a cable in beams of light. Light travels in straight lines but we can use water to bend light.

5. I watched the first lecture in the series ‘Sparks will fly’, and it was very enriching. I found out that shining a light on the white part of a fire exit sign can help you write on it like graffiti. You can do this because the material absorbs the light, but emits it after a very short time, erasing what you have written.

Tungsten is used in incandescent light bulbs because its melting point is very high. I learned that the tungsten filament used in bulbs should not be let in contact with air, otherwise it will burn.

I also found out that Rasberry Pi cameras can be connected using ethernet cables to take pictures at exactly the same time, and each from a slightly different angle. It can then be put together and played out to create a time frozen moment.

I would love to learn to create my own LED wand at home like the one shown at the beginning of the Christmas lecture.

6. I learnt how to code things. I enjoyed the explosive balloons experiment. If there is a big problem you should break the steps down.

7. It was funny and I learnt that electricity can flow through your body. I liked it because it had lots of hacks that you can do at home. I would love to go a Christmas lecture at RI.

8. I have learnt how to turn a sky scraper into a game.
    Step 1: Understand how a small computer works. Step 2: Understand how to turn LED lights on. Step 3: To understand how to make a play pad. I have learnt how to code.
    Step 1: To make an algorithm. Step 2: To choose which balloon to pop. Step 3:To check everything is correct. Step 4:Run the program. I learnt I can troubleshoot when there’s a problem.