Our Science SPACE Seed Experiment Has Begun!

Tim, who delivered the message from the International Space Station where he’s been since December, wished the 600,000 young people signed up to the experiment good luck with their investigations into the impact of micro-gravity and space travel on seed germination and growth. The results will help to form a clearer picture of the potential for astronauts to grow their own food to sustain them on long-term missions.

Speaking while 400km above the surface of the Earth, Tim said: “This is a really exciting week for the hundreds of thousands of young people across the country who will begin their Rocket Science experiments. I’d like to wish everyone taking part the best of luck with their investigations and I look forward to seeing some of the results.

“It’s possible that among those pupils taking part in the project are the young people who will help mankind reach the next big milestones in space exploration for the benefit of people on Earth. I hope the RHS Campaign for School Gardening’s Rocket Science experiment will spark curiosity and wonder amongst young people who may become the next generation of horticultural scientists.”

With more than 8,600 schools and educational groups poised to begin their Rocket Science experiment this week, the project is now among the biggest mass science experiments conducted in UK schools.

Rocket Science will see school pupils across the country spend 35 days analysing the growth and development of two batches of seemingly identical rocket seeds. However, one batch of seeds has spent time in space with Tim on the International Space Station, orbiting the Earth at 17,000mph. The aim of the experiment is to enthuse young people about science and horticulture and provide the European Space Agency with key insights into some of the challenges of growing food in space.

HOMEWORK.

Your Homework task is to write a prediction for our experiment.

Q 1) You will have to guess which one you think is the space seeds (The 100 red or blue packet seeds). Remember, the seeds look exactly the same, they just came in different packets and one has been to the Space Station and back.

Q 2) Also give a prediction of the differences in growth.

For example…

My prediction is the blue packet rocket seeds are the seeds that have been to the International Space Station and back. I think they will grow upright because we are back on Earth’s gravity again. Also, I predict that the seeds will have less leaves than the red packet ones. 

Remember the school rules

1. Be Kind
  2. Do not mention anyone’s names including your own.
  3. Never Use a Full Name

Use other names, but nothing silly as this name appears for everyone to see. Names that are full names or silly names will not be posted. Use abbreviations like  Mr G or Miss P or your initials will do.

38 Replies to “Our Science SPACE Seed Experiment Has Begun!”

1. I predict that the red seeds are the Space seeds. I think the stem will float a bit of gravity in Space; I also think the roots and the stem will be at the bottom.

2. I predict that the red seeds are the Space seeds because they look unusual. I think the air a bit because there is only a little bit of gravity in Space; I also think the rots will be at the top and the stem will be at the bottom.

3. I predict that the seeds which were in space will grow taller than its usual height because there is less gravity in space than on earth and due to that it makes us fly in the air.
    The ISS was orbiting the Earth while the space seeds was on there so maybe the plant will grow in a different unusual shape.
    All in all I believe that the plant from space will grow taller than usual and grow in a different and unusual shape.

4. In my opinion, I believe the red packets of seeds were the ones that Tim Peake took from Earth to the International Space Station and brought back to Earth, because Mars is known as the “Red Planet”. My prediction is that the seeds in the red packets will germinate at the same rate as the seeds in the blue packets because the seeds in the red packets would have been kept safe from the harsh conditions in space while on the International Space Station but are now being grown back on Earth.

5. I think that the blue packet of seeds have been to the ISS. My predictions is that the stems of these seeds will grow upright, however they will be shorter that the red (control) seeds due to effect of the lack of gravity in space. I also think the leaves will be larger as they can then absorb more light – in the ISS there is not much natural sunlight.

6. I think that the blue seeds will have more leaves than the red seeds and it will be a few centimetres higher than the red seeds.I think that the red seeds have gone to space because they are not as big and normal as the blue seeds.

7. I think the red seeds are the space seeds because it represents the hot planets (mars,sun)and stars.
    The space seeds will not need that much watering and i think that they might just turn out normal because they are planted with gravity but just was sent without gravity so i think it might just have a few minor differences but thats it.I also think that the space seeds will not have leaves and the roots may be in a different place.

8. I think that the red packet of seeds have been to the ISS and back The seeds that have been to the ISS will not grow upright but the seeds that have stayed on earth will grow upright . Also the gravity might still have an affect on the space seeds due to no gravity in space . I also think the space seeds will grow quicker and taller than the seeds that have been on the earth .

This my prediction on the differences of the space seeds and the seeds that have stayed on Earth.

9. My prediction is that the red packet of seeds went into Space and orbited the Earth. I think the seeds from space will germinate but due to the low gravity they will grow slower and be smaller than the ordinary ones.I can’t wait to discover the results!

10. When the Space Seeds were launched into space with Tim Peake, I was extremely excited to be receiving them in Alpha after a short amount of time. There are two packets of Space Seeds and my prediction is that the red ones have been in space. Now that they are finally planted in pots in our school, I think that the seeds which have been in space will be affected by the micro gravity in space. This will cause the seeds to either not grow at all as the internal part might have been damaged or they will grow shorter than usual seeds.

11. In my opinion, I believe the red packets of seeds were the ones that Tim Peake took from Earth to the International Space Station and brought back to Earth, because Mars is known as the “Red Planet”. My prediction is that the seeds in the red packets will germinate at the same rate as the seeds in the blue packets because the seeds in the red packets would have been kept safe from the harsh conditions of space while on the International Space Station but are now being grown back on Earth.

12. I think the red packet of seeds have been to space and back. My prediction is that the red packet of seeds will grow slower and shorter than he average height because in space things do not have to work as hard due to the lack of gravity.

13. I Think the blue seeds have went to space because the red one looks like its been on the I.S.S But i think its a trick to make everyone think the red one has been on the I.S.S .I think the space seeds will grow at Angles because in space there is micro gravity and would also grow faster because it has been on the I.S.S That travels 17,000 Miles Per Hour because it has been travelling that fast i think the seeds would be used to go quickly so it will grow quickly.

14. I think that the red packet of seeds have been up in space. I predict that the plant will grow in the soil and the roots will shoot up due to more gravity on Earth, than in space. Another reason why I think my prediction is correct is that some of these seeds have orbited the Earth at 17,000mph with TIM PEAKE.

15. My prediction is that that Blue packet of rocket seeds has been to the International Space Station and back. I think that the plant will grow smaller but slanting a bit and as it grows, the leaves will droop making it arch and harder for it to grow.

16. I personally think that the space seeds are the red packets,and when the seeds grow I don’t think there would be a difference, because Tim Peake only kept the seeds in space,he didn’t grow them in space and also seeds are resilient as they are built to survive in extreme conditions.

1. But if my first prediction is incorrect I think that the plants would need more water although I have nothing to support my answer I do believe it.

17. I think the red seeds went to space because represents Mars.
    My initial thought was they would grow with different colours but after realising they will grow on Earth I just expect their growth would be slower and require less water, be paler and a bit more “crunchy”. My reason for the different colours (in space) was that in the Christmas lectures they mention that plants lack nutrients because they require CO2 and some argon. the reason why they react that way is like the way ” root-less” plants behave in radio active colour water. They use the fuel given to make energy, the wrong fuel can make different results. An example is putting diesel in a petrol car, the wrong energy will make the engine break down. In the plant’s case it will change colour. The reason it must be radio active because it changes nutrients. Examples of different coloured plants: dark yellow carrots, purple cauliflower and dark pink mint.
    The reason for less water needed, paler and crunchiness is that there is not a lot of humidity in the ISS so it may have acclimatized to it. It may be paler because whilst going up to space it may have lost some sugar whilst breaking the sound barrier. I heard that plants can dry up and burn faster than sound. They may have survived the burn but not the root cell. the small lines in the leaves act like veins connecting to the roots.

18. I think that the red seeds have been to the ISS and back.I predict that the space seeds will grow taller and quicker than an average rocket seed because it have been circling the Earth at 17,000mph many times and will have built up energy which will release once they sprouted . Also I think it will have more leaves than an ordinary rocket seed because it is taller.

19. My prediction is that the blue packet rocket seeds have been to the ISS and back. I think that these seeds will grow slower than the seeds on Earth.
    Also, I think that the seeds will slope downwards and the gravity might still have an effect.
    As well as that all, I think that the seeds might absorb water quicker than the seeds on Earth.

20. My prediction is the roots will grow upwards but i think the red pack seeds will. I think the roots will grow upwards because they have been to space and there is micro gravity in space so they will grow upwards . If that happens then we cant grow them in space which means no one can live there for long periods of time.

21. Space seeds have been orbiting Earth in the ISS with Tim Peake. They have been sent to Alpha to be tested. My prediction is that the blue ones have been to space and back. the seeds are very little and due to the fact they have been in low gravity i think they will grow slower. I predict that the space seeds will germinate but will grow to a smaller height than “earth” seeds. I also think the internal structure might have changed so I think the plants root will grow up and the stem will grow down. i cant wait to find out which seeds went into space and if they are affected by going into space.

22. I think the blue seeds are the ones that have been to space.What i think will happen is the plant wont grow as tall and big as it normally would and it will be floppier than usual because it has been to space and there is no gravity in space

23. I think that the red packet has travelled in space with Tim Peake. My prediction is that nothing will happen due to the exposure of the seeds to an unusual environment. Although they have arrived back on Earth, the seeds will have experienced the effects of space and therefore they won’t grow.

24. Assuming that the red packet of seeds was the packet that went to space, this is my hypothesis: the seed may have been affected by the force of take-off and they might be a little more compact than the others. Also, because of the amount of gravity in space, the seeds might be a little confused and they could germinate the wrong way round or be a little bit shorter than an average seed. But because a seed doesn’t germinate until water and sunlight is given to it, it might be that nothing differs compared to the “normal” seeds.

25. I predict that the red packet of seeds went to the space station and back. I think the seeds from space will germinate but won’t grow as tall as the Earth seeds.

26. The Space Station orbits the earth about 16 times a day. I think that the red packet of seeds is from the space station and I think that it will grow and be shorter than in space because there is not any gravity up there.

27. Some of the seeds in the experiment have orbited the Earth at 17,000mph with Tim peake. I predict that the “space seeds” will grow quite slowly because gravity is less in space and the seeds’ internal structure might have changed very slightly. I predict that the “space” seeds will germinate but will grow to a smaller average height than “earth” seeds.

28. I think the blue packet went to space, and it will grow quicker than the red packet because experiments have shown that things grow quicker in space. When the seeds are growing in space, they grow upside down because there is no gravity. I think this will look quite weird to see the leaves at the bottom and the earth pods at the top!!

29. I think the red seeds have been to the ESA and back. I predict it will grow with a short stem due to less gravity on space. I all so think it will have less leaves as well.

30. My Space Seeds Prediction

I think the red packet seeds went up to space and on board The International Space Station and back to Earth.I think they will grow the same but the leaves colour will be slightly lighter or darker.
    I also think the hight will be different {I think it will be smaller }.
    The space seeds will take longer to grow

31. My prediction is that the red packet rocket seeds are the ones which have been sent to the international space station (ISS) and back. I think that the red packet rocket seeds will take longer to grow than the blue packet rocket seeds because as it was in space, it might have been affected as it was used to being there and without any gravity.

32. I think that the blue packet of rocket seeds have been sent from space and the red packet is from earth. My prediction is the seeds won’t grow as they have been in a place with no gravity and no sun near them.

33. Project Rocket Science
    My Prediction
    This experiment is very important for the national horticultural society and The ESA and all the space agency’s across the world. I am honoured to be a part of it. I predict the plant will grow to a slight angle because the micro gravity of space has made the cells in the plants weak causing the plant to grow unexpectedly but now it on gravitational fielded planet for which the plants are in familiar territory but due to the extent of how long the plant was in space but due to the gravity on Earth it will cause the cells to grow into a plant with a bent shape

34. My prediction is that that red packet of rocket seeds has been to the International Space Station and back. I think that the plant will grow upright but slanting a bit and as it grows, the leaves will droop making it arch and harder for it to grow.

35. I think that the stems will grow longer and longer ,because, there is no gravity which means there is no stopping the plant from not growing to tall. I also think that the blue packet is the one from space and the rëd one is from Earth!

36. It will grow in the right direction considering the roots always grow toward’s water and stem/trunk/leaves grows towards the source of light. The only product which does have an effect ongravity (which is lacking in space) is fruit of plant/tree, rest all will follow the basic science law- as far as they have been nourished with there life requirements like air, water and light.