Light videos and links

Extension

Refraction

http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/clips/zqg3cdm

The invention of photography by Nicephore Niepce

http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/clips/zqdvcdm

Calculating the speed of light

http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/clips/zhq34wx

How does a photographer use light waves to make an image?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/clips/zsqqxsg

How light can be reflected and distorted

How light travels

http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/clips/zm8sb9q

How long does it take light from the stars to reach Earth?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/clips/z4v7tfr

Light Interactive Game

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/scienceclips/ages/10_11/see_things_fs.shtml

Isaac Newton and the scientific method

http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/clips/z27r4wx

70 Replies to “Light videos and links”

1. I learnt that white light is made up of all the colours in the rainbow and there are two colours we can’t see called infa red light and ultra violet

2. I have learnt that dialation is when your eye gets bigger. This happens when you enter somewhere where it is dark, for example a cave. They dialate because otherwise you wouldn’t be able to see properly. I also learnt about all the different parts of the eye including the iris, pupil and retina. All of these have a different role for example, the eyelid protects the eye from harmful things such as scissors. Newton’s spectrum was my favourite though. This is because it proves to many people how white light is made up of all the colours by using a prism and only letting a small amount of light in. To my surprise, all the colours bounced off the prism!

3. From the light video understood that there are lots of colours we can’t see in the spectrum such as infrared(IR) or ultraviolet (UV).
    I also understood that lots of cosmetics products use UV light to help them glow on the skin.

4. I have learnt that when a white ray of light enters a prism it will not come out the same as it had looked before. This is because the prism allows the white ray to get bigger so that when the finishing product is larger than what it looked like when it entered. When the white ray of light exits it will look to us like it is multicoloured or a rainbow of some sort. This is not true. Everything is actually black and white, the sun rays of light are actually white, the Sun is white!! The reason we see it as yellow is because when the light from the Sun is mixed with all the gases it turns yellow.

5. I learn’t that Ultraviolet is a form of electromagnetic radiation which you cannot see and more about infra red ( a light you can’t see). Something I also learn’t about infra red was that there are these snakes called Pit Vipers snakes. They are called that as they have little pits in their noses which allow them to detect infra red!

6. I have learnt that Infra red is invisable and that it can not be seen by the human eye.I have also found out about the colours of the spectrum can be made out of white light.This video also explained that colour and physics can also include biology.

7. I learnt how ultraviolet colour works and about how heat radiates off some animals but not others
    I also learnt about how the iris contracts and expands.

8. I did not know that colour and physics can also include biology before I watched by this video. I also did no know that there are different primary colours in science and art. Also that there are cells (e.g. cones and rods ) and at the back your eye that help you see in the dark and that thier colour sensitive .

9. so for an example when light hits a green tree all of the colours are hitting it and the trees leat faviroute colur is green so green would reflect from the trees to our eyes to what we see green trees.
    And even the sun so when we look at it we see orange but that isnt the case as a mattor of fact its the gases that makes us think that the sun is orange and ur also probably thinking how do we even see the sun. We see the sun because our razors from our eyes go all the way to the sun. now lets get back to the colour of the sun soo if u actually go into space where there are no gases the sun is ACTUALLY WHITE. WOW HOW AMAZING

10. I have learnt that colours have a lot more potential then most people think they do for an example i dont think many people would know about infer red and ultra violet because we cant see it so not many people would really care about these fascinating so called colours.

11. When the sun beams shines down , it divides all of the colours of the spectrum . When the sun beams (which are white) it hits the spectrum which divides the colours into the colours of the rainbow ( Red ,Orange , Yellow ,Green ,Blue ,Purple ,Indigo ,Violet).If you add another spectrum in front of where the coloured lights are ,then the light will turn into a white light again I thought that this discovery of Isaac Newtons was magic but really it had a whole method behind it.

12. I enjoyed this video and learned a lot about it.Infra red is an invisible colour and so small, that we can not see it.I also learned about the colour spectrum and how humans evolve light.

13. i’ve learnt loads from this video such as, we see light because the light from the sun hits the object, your pupil expands and contracts depending on the amount of light coming towards you. it’s does this so you don’t damage your eyes. the pits in the side of a pit viper are in infra-red detectors. when the sunlight hits an object like a banana, the banana absorbs it and reflects the colours it took in and reflects the rest.

14. From this video, I have learnt that there is fluorescent, ultraviolet makeup which is visible if you put it near an ultraviolet lamp. Also, I have found out that the pupil is a mere hole. In addition to that, I have learnt that rods are responsible for our vision at night when light is scarce while we depend on cones for our ability to differ one colour from another. Further more, I have understood that the three scientific primary colours differ from the three artistic primary colours; the scientific primary colours are red, green and blue whereas the three artistic primary colours are red, yellow and blue. I have also learnt that the pits on the sides of pit vipers’ faces are actually infrared detectors.

15. I’ve learnt that white light contains all the colours of the spectrum such as
    red,
    orange,
    yellow,
    green,
    blue and violet including infra-red and ultra violet which are another two colours which our eyes cannot see.

The reason we can see images are because the light from a source of light bounces onto our eyes and reflects onto the image.

So even if it was night you would be able to see a bit as the light from the sun reflects on to the moon which still gives some light but not as much as the gives. The sun gives so much it could blind in an instant or give you a black eye which then means you need an eye patch

16. From this video I now know what fluorescent light is and also know where ultra violet infre red comes in order of the spectrum

17. I found the science video very informative, and I learnt that there are two invisible colours, and one of them, infra-red, can actually be used to calculate the surface temperature of an object. The other colour is called ultra-violet.

18. This video was very informational. From this, I’ve learnt that:

The reason why a pupil gets bigger and smaller is that in the dark the pupil will get bigger and in light it will shrink to adjust the amount of light that is absorbed.

You should never stare at the sun as this will give your pupils less time to react to the light and could badly damage your eyes. Even if you are wearing sunglasses, this will not effect the reaction time.

Infra-red is just above red in the rainbow and is invisible to the human eye.

19. This video had so many interesting facts. Something I have learnt is that there are nine colours in the light spectrum: infra-red, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet and ultra violet.Also, I learnt that pit viper snakes have infra-red detectors.

20. I have learnt that your pupils adjust when the light differs. There are two cells called rods and cones. There are three primary colours. The rods help you see in the dark.

1. This video was fascinating. I learnt that white light can be converted into colours of the rainbow, and the colours of the rainbow can be converted into white light.
      Ultra-violet can be found and creates sunburns. We cannot see it.
      Infra-red is also a colour we cannot see.
      Finally, I have also learnt that if a certain object is a particular colour, it will absorb the colour(s) that it isn’t, and reflect the colour(s) that is into our ours to able us to see its colour.

2. I’ve learnt that white light contains all of the colours in the rainbows such as Infra-red and Ultra-Violet are colours we can not see in the spectrum. I’ve also learnt that their is a pigment called haemoglobin in our blood which contains oxygen.

21. I’ve learnt that white light contains all the colours of the rainbow. Infrared can be a measure of the heat of an object, a colour that us, human beings cannot see. Ultraviolet is also a colour that we cannot see.

Your pupil expands when dark light is around you. It contracts when strong light is around you so that the light doesn’t damage your eyes.

22. I’ve learnt that there are some colours that we can’t see. I’ve also learnt that cells called rods and cones enable us to see. They are situted at the back of the eye.

23. The colour of light video was really fascinating. I have learnt that there is a pigment called haemoglobin in our blood which contains oxygen. Also, I’ve learnt that nature has helped us to understand and use its ways of using certain stuctures to control and manipulate light, in our own technology. Finally, I have learnt that infrared light allows us to analyse different surface temperatures.

24. This video is really awesome, and I learnt loads, such as if you saw a blue shoe, the other colours would have been absorbed, leaving only the colour blue to be reflected into our eyes, and that the official eyesight tests are called ‘Ishihara tests’.

25. This was really helpful and interesting. I learnt that light can be manipulated to be any colour we like and may even revolutionise computers in the future.

26. I learned that white light can spilt up into several parts and can merge back together. This discovery was made by Isaac Newton. He refracted light by using a prism . I even learnt The rain which makes the rainbow refracts light like a prism and projects it onto the humid air and water which show us the colours

27. I understand how you can see light and how humans learned about it. You can see a colour because the object absorbs all the colours apart from the colour the object is.Also we can see light as it bounces into our eyes.

28. From this video, I’ve learnt how we see infra-red and ultra-violet. The spectrum of colours we see aren’t the only ones there. There, without us seeing it are infra-red and ultra-violet. Infra-red detects the temperature of you and your surroundings and is before red in the spectrum of colours. However, ultra-violet lamps allows us to see things like makeup in a fluorescent way. It can glow bright blue or bright yellow or bright pink when it is exposed to ultra-violet. I learnt new things and colours that I didn’t even know existed.

29. I have learnt that we cannot see Infrared. Infrared is the measure of heat in an object. I also learnt that our pupils shrink when it is bright e.g. in a very bright room so as to reduce the amount of photons that enter the eye. This is a Biological adaptation and it prevents the eye from being damaged. The pupils dilate when it is dark to absorb the most amount of light.

30. From this video about light, I learnt that you cannot see infared light .Infared light makes warm things glow and cold things stay the same. Your hair helps you keep in some of this heat.Some insects can see this infared light but humans cannot. Dilation is when your pupil gets bigger. This is because you are in a dark room so your eyes get bigger to help you see. I really enjoyed watching this video

31. I have learnt that white light contains all the colours of the rainbow and to see colour, you need light. It is interesting that the human eye can not see parts of the spectrum including:Infrared and Ultraviolet.

I also really enjoyed the part where he held the pit viper and talked about how the pits on the pit viper helped to detect its prey. Also, I learnt that on a bright day, the pupil shrinks and would reduce the number of photons( the amount of light coming in) and so it would stop it from damaging our eye.

32. I have learnt that near red their is a colour called infra red and near violet their is ultra violet. the retina is where the light comes through so you can see it.

33. I have learnt that there are two extra colours we can’t see . The two colours are ultra violet and infant red . It is really strange how one beam of white light is made up of a whole rainbow. We need light to see colours and all lights contain energy. I can’t believe some animals can see more colours than a human could see which I find incredible. Lasers are strong beams of light ,lasers can travel really far . They can become very hot. We are able to see because light bounces off of objects and goes to our eyes. This video was very interesting and I would like to see more lectures

34. My review on this lecture about light by Pete Vukusic.

Although there were many things I liked about this lecture, the experiments were my favorite part.
    I really enjoyed the one in which they put ultra-violet make up on and you could not see it without a special type of light called an ultra-violet lamp.
    A few more things that I learnt from this fascinating lecture is that you cannot see infra-red without a special light even though it is on the colour spectrum founded by Isaac Newton.
    In my opinion, the fact that amazed me the most, was that an infra-red camera can turn a picture into heat, and that if the colour of a human is very bright like yellow or light orange, it means that the person is scared or nervous.
    When it is bright, our pupils get smaller to reduce the amount of photons that enter our eyes, and when it gets darker, our pupils get bigger to let in the most photons so that we can see in the dark unless you have a special chemical in your eye.

I really enjoyed this lecture and it taught me a lot.

35. this video explains the colours light. A glass prism is placed in front of a torch. All the lights are blocked out. The light goes in the glass prism and comes out the other end leaving a rainbow of colours on a wall.next to the red you would think it is black but it is infer red. Next to violet there is ultra violet.

36. I have learnt that white light can be separated into several different colours, like what Isaac Newton did in his experiment. He put a prism next to sunlight and watched as the rainbow spectrum came.

One very interesting part was when he put make up on and used Ultraviolet light to see it. I also liked it when he showed a picture of him holding a pit viper snake in his hand. Even though he and the snake were in the same room, his hand was hotter than the snake as he was very nervous. His hand was 32 degrees centigrade, whilst the snake was only 22 degrees centigrade. The snake was calm because it had pits on the side of its head which were infra red detectors for catching its prey. The snake doesn’t want to eat Peter’s hand because his hand was hot, hence this will get in the way of the snake’s infra red detectors from catching its prey (the snake thinks that Peter’s hand is food). This is called evolutionary adaptation, and it is how all animals (including humans) have developed to the stage they are now.

I also learnt many new facts such as:

*Photons are particles of light.
    *We can only see ‘visible light’. Infra red and ultra-violet rays cannot be seen by the human eye.
    *I learnt that the retina is a layer at the back of the eyeball that contains cells sensitive to light. It is the place where light passes through before it reaches the brain.
    *The pupil is the part of your eye that controls how much light gets in. In bright light, your pupils get smaller to limit the amount of light that enters. In the dark, your pupils get bigger to allow light in to your eyes. Such a condition is called biological adaptation.
    *When light passes from one medium to another, or from a gradual change in the medium, refraction occurs.
    *A laser is a device that generates an intense beam of coherent monochromatic light.

I really enjoyed the part of the talk that I watched, and I am looking forward to seeing the rest of it.

37. I’ve learnt about infra-red and how it is invisible to people. I’ve also learnt about the eye and if the pupil did not shrink on a sunny day, you would easily hurt your eye.

Light is also got to do with Isaac Newton’s light experiment in which Newton refracted light and separated it into the colour spectrum, of which we know about today.

38. I learnt that there are three types of sciences- Biology, Chemistry and Physics. White light contains all the colours of the rainbow. When white light reflects on a prism, the prism bends it in to all its different colours. You cannot see infa red
    Photons are particles of light.
    If you mix projected colours in the right intensities, you can make any colour you like.

39. A very fascinating and exciting video. From this video I have learnt that light contains all the colours of the rainbow like…
    * Red
    * Orange
    * Yellow
    * Green
    * Blue
    * Indigo
    * Violet

We see light because the light from the sun hits the object. Then the object absorbs all the colours of the rainbow apart from the one colour of which it is. The colour of which the object is, reflects until the object colours reaches our eyes.

I also learnt that when you have a rainbow, before red there is infra red and after violet there is ultra violet. Although we can’t see infra red and ultra violet some security cameras can pick up on them. Some companies have even made infra red and ultra violet makeup!

I enjoyed the part of the video where he had the snake on his hand and they used a special camera to see the temperatures of everything that was in the picture. I also enjoyed the part when they opened up the pretend eye and showed everyone how your pupil gets bigger when it is dark and smaller when it is daytime and the lights are on. They also said that sometimes they put a chemical into your eyes when you go to the eye optician,just so they can see into your eyes.

40. I have learnt that all colours actually are,are white Ray’s of light and I was amazed to know that. Another thing I have learnt is that our retina ( the thin layer of tissue that lines the back of our eye) is there to recurve light that the lens has focused, convert the light into neural signals and send these signals on to the brain for visual recognition.

I really enjoyed the video and I thought it improved my knowledge about colours and what they really are and about how we see.

41. I’ve learn’t that when any light gets darker your pupils it decreases in size.
    When the light gets brighter your pupil goes back to normal.

A different fact is that you can not see infer red and ultra purple.

42. I have learnt about ultraviolet light and infrared light and that we can’t see those colours. Also I’ve learnt that white light is full of colours.

43. I have learnt that white light contains all the colours of the rainbow. To see colour you need light. An object absorbs some light and reflects the rest. Every light carries a bit of energy. All light waves reflect and refract. Humans have three photoreceptors. Some animals can see more colours that are impossible for us humans to see. A photographer can take photos because of lightwaves. The lightwaves go on the person and then to the camera. In a camera’s lense refraction is begins. When light enters something at an angle refraction happens. A laser is a strong beam of light , lasers can travel very far.

44. Extension

We see because light bounces off surfaces and goes into our eyes.
    Sometimes our eyes play tricks on us like when light travels from air into water the object gets refracted. When you look through glass light bends. Lenses concentrate the light to one line and they are circular pieces of glass.

45. I have learnt that white light can be separated like Isaac Newton showed. He used one prism and put it next to the white light then the spectrum came.

I enjoyed when he put make up on and used the ultra violet light and also the pit viper snake in his hand was colder even though they were in the room that was the same temparature, but still the snake was colder.

This video was amazing was to watch as it had some interesting facts like
    – You cannot see infa red
    – Photons are particles of light.
    – If you mix projected colours in the right intensities, you can make any colour you like.
    – The job of a lens is to focus the light so the cells pick up light.
    -The reason why a pupil gets bigger and smaller is because in the dark if you stare at another person’s eye, the pupil will get bigger because it is adjusting. If you stare at someone’s eye in the light, the pupil will shrink because it is adjusting. This is a biological adaptation.
    – The picture of him holding the snake being filmed by an infra red camera was amazing because his hand and the snake translates to a colour. His hand was 32 degrees centigrade which means he was nervous. The snake was at around 22 degrees centigrade which means it was calm and cool. The reason why the snake was calm is because it had pits on the side of its head which were actually infra red detectors for catching its prey. The snake doesn’t want to eat the man’s hand because the hand was hot and will stop the infra red detectors to catch its prey. This is called evolutionary adaptation.

I learnt that 1 in 10 men will have colour alternative vision compared to 1 in 250 women. This is due to a fault which occurs on the X chromosome – so mothers who have the faulty gene will definitely pass it on to their sons.

He added chemistry to the lecture by talking about pigments and their colours. The pigment on a leaf absorbs the red and blue and projects green. The other pigments act exactly like this. He said that the red there could have been blood. But we associate blood with life, a key tool for survival but it still is a pigment. But blood’s colour is not as pure red as the beetroot he used. The reason why he just chose red, green and blue is because they are the primary colours of light. Because all colours depend on absorption, if you mix them they over-lap and all colours of white get absorbed. White reflects every colour so black should absorb everyone because it is exactly opposite.

46. I enjoyed when he put the make up on and used the ultra violet light and also ha the pit viper snake in his hand, the snake was colder even though they were in the room and the same temparature, but still the snake was colder.

47. I have learnt that white light contains all the colours of the rainbow. To see colour you need light. An object absorbs some light and reflects the rest.

48. This video was fascinating. In particular, I enjoyed learning about colour alternative vision – which people usually refer to as colour blindness. I learnt that 1 in 10 men will have colour alternative vision compared to 1 in 250 women. This is due to a fault which occurs on the X chromosome – so mothers who have the faulty gene will definitely pass it on to their sons. My father has colour alternative vision so this was particularly interesting.

49. From this topic, I have learnt that white light comes from the sun and consists of a spectrum of colours. This was demonstrated by Isaac Newton using a prism to separate the light. The eye can only see certain parts of the spectrum. Parts we cant see include Ultraviolet and Infrared. A Pit viper uses infrared detectors to identify prey.

50. .You cannot see infra red.
    .The experiment that he did with the make up was fascinating because the make up was exposed to the ultra violet lamp which made the make up glow.
    .The picture of him holding the snake being filmed by an infra red camera was amazing because his hand and the snake translates to a colour. His hand was 32 degrees centigrade which means he was nervous. The snake was at around 22 degrees centigrade which means it was calm and cool. The reason why the snake was calm is because it had pits on the side of its head which were actually infra red detectors for catching its prey. The snake doesn’t want to eat the man’s hand because the hand was hot and will stop the infra red detectors to catch its prey. This is called evolutionary adaptation.
    .The reason why a pupil gets bigger and smaller is because in the dark if you stare at another person’s eye, the pupil will get bigger because it is adjusting. If you stare at someone’s eye in the light, the pupil will shrink because it is adjusting. This is a biological adaptation.
    .The retenna is at the back of the eye. The light travels through it and hits the cells.
    .Cells detect light.
    .The job of a lens is to focus the light so the cells pick up light.
    .Cones are sensitive to red, green and blue. Those are the primary colours of science.
    .Photons are particles of light.
    .Chlorofil is green.
    .Pigments work by absorption.
    .Soap bubbles are coloured.
    .If you mix projected colours in the right intensities, you can make any colour you like.
    I really enjoyed this lecture!

51. Science Lecture of Light by Pete Vukusic,

His aim was to teach us about how light goes into every branch of science and how do small things affect light and how we see.

In the first half of this lecture I learned that white light can spilt up into several parts and can merge back together. This discovery was made by Isaac Newton. He refracted (split and bend) light by using a prism. Pete Vukusic explained and showed how it works. People usually say there are seven colours in a rainbow, but not necessarily. The rain which makes the rainbow refracts light like a prism and projects it onto the humid air and water which show us the colours. Isaac said it was seven because he liked the number. As Pete shows, the rainbow (or spectrum) has got several colours, some we can see and some we cannot. For example, red is expected to be the brightest colour in the spectrum, but infra-red is brighter – we just cannot see it. He also proved the same with violet and ultra-violet.

After he changed the topic to florescence as he put make up on the ladies which volunteered. He switched off the light and kept a few ultra-violet tubes on. The make up glowed yellow and blue. The makers of the make up wanted it to absorb UV and change it.

He then began to merge physics with another type of science: biology. He had taken an infra-red picture of him holding a pit viper (one of the most deadliest snakes in the world. His hands were warmer than average but the snake did not heat up. He said it was nothing about being a reptile but that it had adapted, evolved and kept its body temperature down so it could detect prey. The pits are used to sense infra-red (which is high in mammals).
    Then he talked about human adaptation, starting with dilation. He said he had been injured and had to go to the optician. She put eye drops which forces his pupil open, to check for damage. When he left it was bright and sunny, but because of the eye drops his eyes could not shrink to block to light. He says it felt like poking needles in his eye. He began experimenting again and this time told everyone to find a partner and look into their eyes. He switched the lights off and back on. Everyone’s eyes were bigger because they tried to receive more light and see clearer. Then their eyes shrank trying to block the extra light from damaging cells.
    Pete went onto partial colour blindness tests. The main type of tests like this are called Ishihara Tests. He explained females have better colour vision then males, he described it like this: men mainly have Y and women have X (the better one). When a boy inherits eyesight from his father (not common) they see the world in different colours or tainted because of a YY. boys inherit sight from the mother are YX. It is similar for girls as well.

That was what I had learned from the first half of the brilliant lecture by Pete Vukusic.

52. I have learnt that Science is an inter-disciplinary subject which is made up of Biology, Physics and Chemistry. Light is a mixture of different colours. Isaac Newton proved that a prism separates white light into different colours. The fastest thing on Earth is the speed of light.
    Infra-red measures the heat of an object; we can’t see infra-red. Hair preserves heat which makes the heads of mammals and humans warm.
    The three primary colours of Science are Red, Green and Blue. Colours can also be produced through dyes/pigments. Pigments work through absorption. When you see a green plant, it means the other two primary colours(blue and red) have been absorbed. Iridescent colours produce different colours at different angles. e.g. butterfly.
    The ultra violet region is on the other side of infra-red in the spectrum. Make-up companies use the ultra violet concept in creating products. The pigments in the make-up absorbs ultra violet light and turns it into a colour.e.g. yellow.
    I know our pupils dilate when we are in a dark place and shrink when we are in a bright place; it its known as a biological adaptation.

53. I have learnt that white light contains all the colours of the rainbow. To see colour you need light. An object absorbs some light and reflects the rest. Every light carries a bit of energy. All light waves reflect and refract. Humans have three photoreceptors. Some animals can see more colours that are impossible for us humans to see. A photographer can take photos because of lightwaves. The lightwaves go on the person and then to the camera. In a camera’s lense refraction is begins. When light enters something at an angle refraction happens. A laser is a strong beam of light , lasers can travel very far.

54. I understand how the cones work . how the three types of cones work together so we can see the three scientific primary colors .

55. The science video – Light Fantastic really fascinated me about how light revolves around our body. For example, infra-red is invisible to the naked eye but with security cameras, they are able to pick up signs of infra red as infra red is also known as heat. When the lecturer showed us the picture of the bold man and when he showed the I picture of the snake the bold man – a human is warm blooded. Whilst the snake isn’t so the infra red coming from the man was heat whilst the snake did not have any.

When the lecturer talked about the spectrum and the pupil it really fascinated me how he was able to prove his theory that the black next to the spectrum was infra red and not black. However I did not understand the statement relating with the Britney Spears picture and how the background if made nanosize small could control light.

56. I find it fascinating that light can make itself look very different from its normal colour. From this light topic I have learnt how to make a spectrum, why a spectrum looks different, why objects look bent in water and some illusions that water and light can make.

57. Isaac Newton managed to separate colours using a prism.He closed all of his blinds and only let a little bit of light in. He put his prism next to the tiny bit of light and out from the prism came all of the colours in the rainbow. He showed that he could not separate the colour by using another prism instead he turned all the colours back into white light. We can see infa-red coming from the torch. We can not see infa red but other insects can. Infa red hows us the heat. The surface temperature.These videos are interesting. I enjoyed watching them.

58. As the sun beams down,it is separating all the colours of the spectrum.When the light from the sun hits an object like a banana, the object absorbs (take in) the colours from the sun and reflects the others.

59. I have learnt that dialation is when your eye gets bigger. This happens when you enter somewhere where it is dark, for example a cave. They dialate because otherwise you wouldn’t be able to see properly. I also learnt about all the different parts of the eye including the iris, pupil and retina. All of these have a different role for example, the eyelid protects the eye from harmful things such as scissors. Newton’s spectrum was my favourite though. This is because it proves to many people how white light is made up of all the colours by using a prism and only letting a small amount of light in. To my surprise, all the colours bounced off the prism!