Sound Video Links

Brass Instrument Video

http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/clips/z2rkxsg

Percussion instrument video

http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/clips/zcrkxsg

Stringed instruments

http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/clips/zx4whv4

Extension

(go the sound section 10 minutes in)

Leave a comment below

Mr G says “What did you learn from this program?” Leave your comments below.

Remember the school rules

1. Be Kind
  2. Do not mention anyone’s names including your own.

Comment Help

Remember, your comments are reflective comments just like your smiley face comments at school. You can share what you’ve learnt, what you enjoyed and ask any questions you may have. Also, don’t forget to write full sentences with the correct punctuation!

A bad example: ‘I’ve learnt loads, that was great’

A good example: ‘I’ve learnt that the Sun is in the centre of our solar system and that it is really big’

Never Use a Full Name

Use other names, but nothing silly as this name appears for everyone to see. Names that are full names or silly names will not be posted. Use abbreviations like   Mr G or Miss P or your initials will do.

34 Replies to “Sound Video Links”

1. In the first video I learnt that when you play a brass instrument your lips should vibrate. In the second video I learnt that a drum is a percussion instrument. When you hit the drum skin the skin will vibrate. I also learnt that when you tighten the drum skin it will make a higher pitch. In the third video I learnt that the strings vibrate on the violin. If you play the piano then you play a stringed instrument as inside there are strings which are hit by a hammer. Sound is made by vibration of the surrounding molecules.

2. From these three videos I have learnt that not all brass instruments are made from brass as in Jewish sinagogues they are made from sheep horns.

In the second video I learnt that the harder you hit the skin on the drum the lower the sound and if you the drum skin the sound is higher.

In the third video I found out that longer strings vibrate lower than higher strings because they thicker.

3. By watching these videos I have learnt that percussion means one thing hitting another, when you hit a drum the skin vibrates and the air around the skin vibrates as well, that your eardrum vibrates and you inner ear and middle are convert the vibrations into messages and send them to your brain, to make higher pitch you tighten the skin and to make a lower sound you can loosen the skin and to make a louder sound you can hit the skin harder and to make a quieter sound you can hit the skin softer

4. By looking at the first video on Brass Instruments, we can understand that the air molecules inside the instrument compress when the air is blown through the mouth piece. The combination of lips and air vibration creates the sound and is picked up by our ears.

The second video on Percussion instruments shows that a drum is made when the skin is stretched on one side of the drum or a barrel. The air inside the drum vibrates when hit on the skin. This causes the air to bounce inside the drum and in turn causes the skin to vibrate back.

String instruments like violin or guitar can be plucked or played with a bow. The string vibrates causing the air around the string to vibrate, which in turn, produces the sound. You can move your finger up or down to produce high notes or low notes.

When the sound waves reach our ears, the ear drum vibrates as per the vibration of the air from the played instrument. This is how we hear the instrument that is played.

5. Strings: In this video lots of different string instruments were shown. String instruments which use a bow cause sound when the bow is pulled across the string. The bridge vibrates; the sound box and sound post vibrates next; then the air inside the sound box vibrates and produces the sound we hear. Different finger positions makes the strings on a violin longer or shorter which changes the pitch of the sound.

Thickness, length and tightness are important. Thick strings vibrate slowly and give a low note because they have more material inside them which means it harder to get thick strings to vibrate. Long strings vibrate more slowly than short ones. Tighter strings produce a higher pitch .

6. Percussion: In this video, percussion instruments like drums make sound waves by also causing vibrations. A demonstration showed how confetti on a drum skin jumps up when the drum is hit. This shows that the drum skin is vibrating. Air inside the drum affects the pitch, for example a large drum has more air inside it which makes a lower pitch. The tightness of the drum skin also affects the pitch. The harder you hit the drum skin, the larger the vibration you make which affects the volume (loudness).

The presenters made sounds waves visible by doing a tuning fork and water demonstration. They hit the tuning fork and put it into the water which showed the water making small splashes because to was vibrating.

7. Each video is introduced by a piece of music featuring a family of instruments .

Brass: In the video on brass instruments I found out that the players lips create sound waves by vibrating the air which bounces around inside of the instrument to create a ‘standing wave’.The vibrating air comes out of the bell making the outside air vibrate too. I also found out how the amount of air inside the brass tubes affects the pitch of the note: the more air means the note will be lower, but less air inside means the higher the note. Brass instruments make different notes by changing the amount of air vibrating in the instrument.

8. In brass instruments I have learnt many things. When you blow into any brass instruments your lips vibrate back and forward. Did you know they are all not made of brass? Way back in time they made these instruments as horns. In a brass instrument when you blow lots of air it makes a lower note and you then do the opposite thing to make a higher note.

I also learnt about the drum and percussion instruments. Percussion means one thing hitting another. There are many percussion instruments such as the triangle,the tambourine and the cymbals. The drum is a whole load of body with a skin which is stretched. The harder you hit it the more vibrations and the softer you hit it the less vibrations.

I also learnt about how string instruments make sounds. It was very interesting. The most important things the pitch of a note depends on is the thickness, the length and how tightly the strings are pulled. In string instruments larger and smaller vibrations make louder and softer sounds. If you think longer strings are not important, they are as it takes longer to vibrate.

9. After watching these three videos about brass instruments, percussion instruments and stringed instruments, I have learnt that air vibrates inside brass instruments. The molecules that are already vibrating bump into other molecules and by doing this it reaches the end part called the bell. When you try to make a note by blowing in a brass instrument you vibrate your lips. Brass instrument players’ lips vibrate over 1000 times a second. The note that comes out of the instrument depends on how much air there is inside the instrument. When there is lots of air, the vibrations are slow and it produces a lower sound. But when there is a lot of air, the vibrations are fast and it produces a higher sound. Some of the percussion instruments are: the drums, the triangle, tambourine and the cymbals. To make a sound using percussion instruments, all you have to do is to shake it or tap it. A drum has a hollow body in the inside and skins on the outside tops. To make different sounds on a drum you can bang softer or harder or you could tighten or loosen the skin, or, you could bang the drum skin and then will it vibrate and make a sound. Stringed instruments include the piano, guitar, sitar, cello, violin and harp. On guitar, sitar and a harp you pluck the strings to make a sound. On a violin or cello you use a bow to produce a sound. But on a piano you push down keys to make a sound. When you push a key, a small hammer comes up and hits the string and makes it vibrate. In a harp you pluck the string and it vibrates. But in the other instruments, there is a small sound hole through which the sound echoes and then comes out. The thicker the string, the lower the pitch. The thinner the string, the higher the pitch.

10. I have learnt that to play a percussion instument such as the drum you have to hit the skin so when you hit the skin the air monacules vibrate so you can here the sound of it . there are many other percussion instruments such as :
    maracas tambourine cello
    cymbals triangle violin
    marimba xylophone harps
    chimes clappers and many many more……………………

11. I have learnt that to play a brass instrument you need to move your lips very very fast if you just blow into it ,it will just have an airy sound also heres a fun fact : musicians can move there lips up to 1000 times every second!And hers another one, all brass instruments are not made from brass in jewish synagogs they play a brass horn all the time!

12. I have learnt that your lips need to be able to vibrate when you are blowing into a trumpet. I have also learnt that sound vibrations travel in sound waves. If an instrument is bigger, then there will be a lower pitch but if an instrument is smaller, there will be a higher pitch. This is because there is more air in a big instrument than in a small one so the vibrations get slower and make a lower pitch. There are many different ways to make a wind instrument change pitch. On a trombone you use a slide to change the amount of air in it whereas on a trumpet, you use vowels to to get different pitches. To make a drum have a higher pitch you can tighten the surface area. When you tighten it the surface vibrates faster and creates a high pitched sound. You can use different tools to tune different instruments. If you bang a tuning fork on something and then put it in some water, the fork is vibrating which causes the water to react and splash everywhere. If there is a long string plucked then there will be a lower pitch than when a shorter string is plucked. It’s the same with tightness and thickness.(The tighter the string the higher the pitch and the thicker the string the lower the pitch).

13. After watching the three videos based on brass, percussion and stringed instruments, I have learnt how brass instruments (such as trumpets and trombones) work. The air inside the instrument vibrate. The molecules that are vibrating bump into other molecules that are next to them and those molecules vibrate too forming a sound wave. This travels through the instrument and comes out from the end of the instrument called a bell. When the sound waves reach our ear, we can hear a sound. I also know how percussion instruments (such as drums and cymbals) work. Let’s take a drum for an example, a drum has a hollow body with a skin stretched on top of it. Then when you hit a drum the skin vibrates and the vibrations make the air particles vibrate too, also making a sound wave. And finally the last video has shown me how stringed instruments (such as a piano, a guitar,a sitar and a violin) work. In a grand piano there are different lengths and thicknesses of the string. When we hit a piano key a small hammer hits the string that makes it vibrate and then vibrates the air particles around it forming a sound wave. The pitch of an instrument depend on three things:
    The thickness of a string (the thicker the string the lower the pitch)
    The length of a string (the longer the string the lower the pitch)
    The tightness of a string (the tighter the string the higher the pitch)

14. The stringed instruments video I found the most interesting since I play the guitar. Here are a few facts I learnt…
    . Stringed instruments include guitars, violins, cellos, harps and… a piano!
    . A guitar works by plucking or strumming the strings.
    . A cello works by being plucked or by being rubbed by a bow against the strings.
    Now a rule…
    The tighter the string, the higher the pitch.
    Or alternatively…
    The looser the string, the lower the pitch.
    These are just a few facts, but you can find out more by watching the video.

15. The drums and percussion video made me learn some things I did not know such as…
    . Percussion instruments include drums, triangles, tambourines and cymbals.
    . Percussion in brief means one thing hitting another.
    And now a history fact…
    . Drums where used in war!
    . A drum is made of a hollow body which has skin over the top put on very tightly.
    And now a explanation of how a drum works…
    . When somebody bangs a drum the skin vibrates. The vibration of the drum makes the air particles inside vibrate which makes sound waves that hopefully, travel to your ear.
    These are a few basic facts, but I learnt much, much more!

16. V.t
    I have learnt about brass instruments and what they consist of.In the trumpet, the air inside vibrates inside the metal and reaches our ears.I would think of it like a spring and the springs inside vibrate inside.One fascinating fact that I discovered is that when you blow into a brass instrument, your lips move really quickly forwards and backwards-sometimes you could move your lips an entire 1,000 times in a second-1000 per second-unbelievable, right?!

v.t……

17. From these videos, I have learnt a bit more about what percussion instruments really are, and that Mars , as well as being a planet, was also the name of the greek god of war!!!Percussion instruments are instruments that you need to hit ,and there are many examples-glockenspiel, drums , cymbals, triangle, maracas, tambourine…and many more.
    Other instruments , that you need to pluck are called stringed instruments.
    These consist of:
    guitar
    viola
    banjo
    cello
    violin
    There are many indian ones , such as
    tambora
    sitar
    veena
    tanpura.

v.t.

18. Brass instruments make sound when the air inside them vibrates . Vibrating air molecules bump into each other which makes them vibrate this creates a sound wave and comes out of a part of the instrument called the Bell.When a sound wave reaches are ears we can hear the sound .The sound waves are bounced backwards and forwards creating a standing wave.

Percussion instruments mean that they’re hitting one another.When you bang a drum the air molecules inside and around them vibrate.

Stringed instruments make a high pitch with a smaller string and a bigger string makes a low pitch.

19. I have learnt that the earliest brass instruments weren’t made from brass but from shells and animal horns. The way it worked was that you would blow into the hole, the space inside would vibrate causing it to make a sound. Also you can change the amount of air .On a Trumbo you use the slide.
    There are types such as percussion instruments. Percussion means one thing hitting another. One instrument is a drum. It was first used in battles and wars. Did you know that we have something similar to a drum in our ears called an ear drums. Other types of percussion instruments are cymbal, triangle and the tambourine.
    Another type is stringed instruments. The piano is actually a stringed instrument! On a guitar there a 2 ways of playing it (pluck and strum). To make a string higher, you can use the pegs at the top to make the pitch higher on the string. On a violin there are different parts to it. There’s the sound box, the bridge, the finger board and the string.

20. I learnt a lot from the brass instruments video such as :
    . Brass instruments include trumpets and trombones, just to mention a few.
    . A trumpet works when the air inside vibrates and makes a sound wave.
    . To get air inside a trumpet, your lips have to make a special fast wobbling sequence, which can be repeated up to 1000 times a second!
    And finally,
    . Standing waves are called standing waves, because they are going so fast, they do not appear to be moving.
    This is just a few facts, that I have learnt from the video.

21. Watching these three videos I have learnt that in order to make a sound on a brass instrument the player’s lips must vibrate very, very quickly. I have also learnt that if you are playing a stringed instrument, that when you press a key a small hammer hits the string and the string vibrates. the percussion instrument is very different from the brass instrument and the stringed instrument. percussion instruments don’t have strings and they can’t be blown. for example a drum is a percussion instrument because it has to be tightened or loosened when played and can’t be strung or blown.

22. After watching the first video on brass instruments, I’ve learnt that, as air vibrates it creates a sound wave. I enjoy blowing into a trumpet, especially when I blow harder as this creates a bigger vibration. However, when my younger sister blows a trumpet gently, this creates a smaller vibration which is not so exciting to hear!! I’ve also learnt that the earlier brass instruments were actually NOT made of brass, but were in fact made from sheep’s horns. I’ve also learnt that the faster you blow, the higher the note. The slower you blow, the shorter the note.

After watching the second video on percussion instruments, the drums were discovered by archaeologists several years ago. I know of some interesting percussion instruments, a few which I can name are triangle, drums, tambourines, and cymbals. I’ve learnt that the size and shape can also impact the sound and vibration produced. For example, the bigger the drum, the louder the sound and bigger the vibration. The harder you hit the skin of the drum, the larger the vibration and louder the sound. The lighter you hit the skin, the smaller the vibration and quieter the sound.

After watching the third video on string instruments, I’ve learnt that a piano is classified as a string instrument which I never knew before! The thicker the string, the lower pitch of sound and slower the vibration. The thinner the string, the higher pitch of sound and quicker the vibration. If you tighten the strings this creates a high pitch. If you loosen the strings this creates a low pitch. The length of the string is also important, as the shorter the string, the quicker the vibration and higher the pitch sound. The longer the string, it vibrates slowly and has a lower pitch sound.

23. the thicker the string the more time it will take to vibrate and will make a lower pitch , how ever the thinner the string the less time it takes and the higher the pitch. Also the tighter the string the higher the pitch and the loser the string the lower the note. lager the vibration the louder the sound

24. Percussion means that one object hitting another as a force, the air in and around the drum will vibrate when you hit the drum

25. After watching these three video’s I have learnt that a trumpet is a brass instrument and it makes sounds when the air inside them is made to vibrate . Not all brass instruments are made of brass . A drum is a percussion instrument when you hit the skin of the drum it vibrates and makes tha air molecule vibrate . There are other percussion instruments like the triangle , the tambourine and the cymbals . A piano is a string instrument there are thick one for low notes and thin ones for high notes . Sound waves are invisible .

26. From watching these videos today, I have learnt that brass instruments are not always made of brass. I also know how old the oldest drum is and the biggest drum. I know that a french horn measures 5m if you stretch out all the tubes. I have even learnt how a piano works and about different parts of the violin and that the sound box is the biggest. The last thing I have learnt is that if you tighten a drum skin the pitch becomes higher.

27. I have learnt that brass instruments are played by blowing with nearly closed lips through the air tube which makes air molecules vibrate which causes them to bump into the ones next to them creating a sound wave. The sound wave goes to the bell and it causes a sound. I have also learnt about percussion instruments. These include:
    Drums
    Cymbals
    Handbells
    Maracas
    Triangle
    Tambourine
    Percussion instruments do not have strings, and you don’t blow through them. If you tighten the skin of a drum, the pitch becomes higher. You can tell what a string instrument is by by its name. These include:
    Guitar
    Sitar
    Violin
    Chelo
    Piano
    Most string instruments you pluck. But you don’t with the piano. Inside it there are strings, and every time you hit a key, a small hammer hits the key causing a vibration.

28. I have learnt that when you press a piano key a small hammer hits the string making it vibrate. As it vibrates it moves the air particles’ vibrating the ones next to it and the ones next to that. This is called a sound wave. Also thin strings have a faster vibration whereas thick strings have a slower vibration. The tighter the string the higher the note it makes.

29. After watching these three videos about brass instruments, percussion instruments and stringed instruments, I have learnt that air vibrates inside brass instruments. The molecules that are already vibrating inside the instrument bump into the molecules next to them to make a sound. When you blow into the instrument your lips vibrate to make a sound wave. If you blow hard with lots of energy, it creates a loud sound and a big vibration, but if you blow gently , it creates a quiet sound with small vibrations. To make a low pitched note on a trombone push the slide as far as it can g but to make a high pitched note you pull the slide as close as you can. To play a drum or a triangle, you need you have to hit it. A drum has a hollow body and the skin is stretched really tightly. When it has been hit, the skin vibrates which makes a sound in the body of the drum. A small drum creates a high pitch when you hit it because there is less air for the drum to vibrate but with a big drum there is more air for the sound to vibrate through so it creates a low pitch. You could also change the pitch by tightening or loosening the skin. On a guitar you pluck the strings but on a violin you use the bow to rub against the strings. the tighter the string the higher the pitch but the looser the string the lower the pitch. Long strings vibrate more slowly because there is more space for the sound to vibrate but short strings vibrate more quickly because there is less space for the sound to vibrate.

30. I have learnt that percussion means one thing hitting another. When you hit a drum the skin vibrates. The vibration of the drum makes the air particles inside and around the drum vibrate too and this forms sound waves. They travel in all different directions and if the air particles reaches your ears you can probably hear the drum. Sound waves are invisible. Also in your ear you have a eardrum. When a sound reaches your ear, your eardrum vibrates.

31. Did you know sound travels best through a solid than a gas or a liquid. Sound also needs air to vibrate and then it will make a sound, but if there is no air inside with the sound it won’t make a sound. Sound travels much more slower than light can travel. The more air the sound gets the louder it will get. Did you know that because light is a form of radiation it can travel through space, but sound can’t it can vibrate through particles of a medium than light.

32. I have learnt that when you want to make a sound, the air inside the brass instrument has to vibrate. When the instrument has a small amount of space to go through it makes a higher sound but when there is a lot of space for the air to vibrate there is a lower sound. Also to get the vibration into the brass instrument your lips need to vibrate. Brass instruments are not made from brass in fact some are made from animal horns.

33. I have learnt that the more air in the instrument, the lower the noise. Less air in the instrument means you will get a higher pitch. Also, when you are playing a wind instrument such as the trumpet, you can’t just blow into it, you need to vibrate your lips back and forth consistently.

34. Today,while watching these three videos I have learnt that a brass players lip should be able to vibrate very quickly and when the lip is against the instrument the air inside the instruments begins to vibrate and stats forming sound waves.